Monday, 9 March 2015

one. the fast


Guys, I have to share with you the amazing encounter I've had with God this past week!

First off, I wasn't going to create this blog until after a quick google search for 'young black christian women' and unfortunately, I couldn't find what I was looking for. I truly believe it's important to be able to relate to someone especially in this walk with Christ so here's to hoping this reaches the more young women like me!

Anyway, back to what this post is about!




I've just completed a 6 day fast for the first time and without sounding like I'm bragging, I'm just so excited about the whole experience. The emotions, experiences and self discoveries that have been revealed to me by God have literally been life changing but above all this, my relationship with God has drastically improved and although resisting the fresh rice and okra stew proved challenging at times, it's been one of the best experiences in my walk with God thus far (and believe me, this has been an on and off journey for the better part of the last 10 years!).

There are so many things going on in my life right now and I'm really considering relocating permanently so I needed to spend this time with God, talk to him, be in his word and repent at this critical time in my life.

There's no way God was going to allow me to do this whilst still being attached to social media, friends and family (except the ones I live with obviously) and TV which definitely afforded the success of this opportunity to get some alone time with my father. Not speaking to friends and family was most difficult, as you can imagine but it was so worth it. And for the first time in a long time, I heard God's voice and him speaking to me has slowly (but surely) begun to change my heart. 

What also played a big role in keeping me going was encouragement from some lovely Christian women on the internet, YouTube in particular, such as Heather Lindsey, Bronze Goddess01, Chanel Boateng, Deboh (xSoulbeautyx), Jazmin Walker, Ashleydbeauty, Brigette (Theselflaw), AshleyEmpowers, Jennifer Olaleye and loads more. I truly and wholeheartedly believe all them have been sent by God to show me personality and character traits, beliefs etc that I need to reflect on, change and work on. I learned so many valuable things from each and every one of them. 

Thank you Lord for the work you're doing in these women!

The type of music I listen to has been something that has been convicting me for some time now and everyone who knows me knows music is a big part of who I am and what I do and want to do. But speaking to God about it, he has guided me to so many new Christian artists and uplifting and motivational musicians and music. I've been listening to a lot of Israel Houghton, my fav songs from my church, Hillsong, Lecrae, B-Luv and Mali Music who are all amazingly talented and are very similar to the worldly musicians I listen to, just with a different outlook and more positive message. As much as I hate to admit, the music and TV shows we watch and listen to do plant seeds in us so we need to guard our hearts and be very mindful of what we surround ourselves with. Trust me, it's a lesson I'm still learning and paying for. 

I replaced all my regular guilty pleasures with programmes and sermons via OH TV and the numerous religious channels on Sky TV whenever I decided to watch TV, so at least I was still being fed with God's word as well as being inspired by other Christian's walk with Christ.

I'm so grateful and thankful the Lord stirred something within me to take a break from the world and spend time in his presence because on my own, I wouldn't have known I needed to and definitely wouldn't have expected the outlook it has given me... I honestly feel like a new person! I plan to fast a few times a month now - I can't even fully describe how I feel - you genuinely have to experience it for yourself, but you can trust and believe you won't come out with the same mind frame and relationship with God.

The keywords to bare in mind here are Discipline and Obedience.

Bible verses I've been meditating on:
Psalm 23
Psalm 139 (particularly verses 14 & 23-24)
Song of Soloman 4:7
Luke 4:18
Romans 1:6
Hebrews 10:19-25
Psalm 54 
Hebrews 11:6
Psalm 49:14-15
Psalm 112

- Lord knows I love Psalm!

I hope you've been encouraged and please don't forget, whatever you've done, whatever you've said, God still loves you and only has plans for you to prosper and succeed. Just call out to him, be obedient and stay faithful.

It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

Thank you for reading.



"Don't despise the tears you've cried
or the prayers that you have prayed
Heaven heard your every word
And the answer, the answer's on the way..."

Every Prayer - Israel Houghton

No comments:

Post a Comment